You know when you are feeling a little under the weather and want a nice pot of hot chicken soup but you don’t have the energy to make it? That was me tonight! So I improvised 🙂
This soup is super easy, very delicious and you can alter it to your liking! You can even turn it into an awesome seafood soup without much effort!
- 2 quarts of rich chicken broth/stock (homemade or this store brand)
- 2 bunches scallions, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1-2 inch chunk fresh ginger, grated
- 1 very small clove garlic, pressed (optional) Sometimes I use this but many times I will omit it
- Few squirts of fish sauce (salty)
- One to two small squirts of this soy sauce alternative (salty)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- ½ lb or so scallops or shrimp (optional)
- white pepper, to taste (and/or red chili flakes)
- In a large soup pot add chopped scallions, ginger, garlic and chicken stock/broth.
- Bring to a low boil and then simmer.
- Add carrot and fish sauce/soy sauce alternative (if adding seafood, add now).
- Simmer for a few more minutes to cook shrimp/scallops (about 7-12 minutes or so).
- Next, taste and adjust any seasonings to your preference.
- Turn off stovetop.
- Slowly drizzle in beaten eggs to hot soup mixture. While drizzling the eggs stir the soup with a heat safe utensil. I usually use a large spoon.
- Top with desired amount of white pepper and/or red chili flakes.